Internet Governance Forum Support Association (IGFSA)

22nd meeting of the Executive Committee

14 March 2017

Summary Record

1. The Executive Committee held its 22nd meeting on 14 March 2017 in Copenhagen, Denmark, in the margins of ICANN 58.
The following Members and Co-Secretaries were in attendance:

      Marilyn Cade, Edmon Chung, Tarek Kamel, Markus Kummer, Jimson Olufuye, Eduardo Santoyo; Jennifer Chung.

2. A quorum was established for the meeting, with six of nine Executive Committee members present.

3. A draft agenda had been circulated prior to the call and was adopted as follows:

  • Adoption of the Agenda
  • NRI requests for support – for decision (requests from SEEDIG, LACIGF, Barbados and Belarus)
  • Preparation of outreach session – for discussion and decision
  • MoU with ISOC – for information
  • Website and outreach material – for discussion
  • Fundraising – for discussion
  • Any other business

NRI requests for support

4. The Executive Committee had a discussion on the requests received from the following NRIs: SEEDIG,
LACIGF, Barbados and Belarus, and the following decision was approved:

  • Funding was approved for SEEDIG, LACIGF and Belarus, with the process to be started right away.  Funding was also approved for Barbados pending the confirmation from the IGF Secretariat that it has met the NRI criteria to be listed on the IGF website.

Preparation of outreach session

5. Overall agenda of the outreach session was discussed, with the following framework agreed:

  • The key messages for the session is to for IGFSA to introduce on why and how it supports the National Regional Initiatives and recognize the significant growth from 60 to 91 in the past year alone.
  • To give NRIs who have received IGFSA funding in the past a chance to share how the funds have helped and share additional information from their particular initiatives.
  • To give sponsor organizations to the IGFSA an opportunity to share how they support the IGF ecosystem as well as outline related activities
  • To have Executive Committee members speak on various focus areas including:

i.      The value of IGFSA membership, how people can donate
ii.      Why the NRI development is important for the overall IG ecosystem
iii.      How to apply for funding
iv.      Additional linkages and visibility on the IGFSA websites for NRIs and vice versa

MoU with ISOC

6. The Executive Committee had a brief discussion on the MoU with ISOC. It was mentioned that this year is
ISOC’s 25th anniversary, and noted that since it is now March and NRI funding requests are coming in, this matter should be clarified

  • Tarek Kamel offered to reach out to obtain more detailed information from ISOC (including a list of functions ISOC provides) regarding the MoU.

Website and outreach material

7. Jennifer Chung presented the framework of the IGFSA website update that will include an update profile page
for the Executive Committee, downloadable media and fundraising kits, a more streamlined user interface
(pending confirmation regarding webhosting subscription and templates), and additional information on what
the IGFSA is doing for the NRIs (including an updated list of all supported NRIs).

  • Marilyn Cade offered to work with the co-secretary regarding website content.
  • The Executive Committee was reminded to send profile photos and bios to the co-secretary be added to the website.


8. Markus Kummer gave an update on the funds sent by the IGFSA to the UN IGF Trust Fund and noted that the
40k USD should already have been received.  The Executive Committee continued the fundraising discussion
in the context of the growing numbers of NRIs and funding requests. It was suggested that IGFSA could look at
various sponsors of ICANN and IGF and put together funding packages.  It was also suggested that NRIs in
developed countries could be encouraged to support their sister NRIs.

  • Marilyn Cade offered to put together list of potential sponsors and suggestions on what elements to include in a fundraising package
  • Markus Kummer to follow up with IEEE
  • Edmon Chung offered to pilot a fundraising/crowdfunding campaign in the upcoming Asia Pacific YIGF in Bangkok (July 2017).


9. Brief discussion and updated on upcoming potential outreach events for the IGFSA include the following:

  • WSIS Forum (June 2017) – Markus Kummer shared the preliminary details of the IGFSA workshop (12 June 2017) at the WSIS Forum.
  • ICANN Abu Dhabi (Oct 2017) – a possibility of an open IGFSA event including a booth was raised.