Internet Governance Forum Support Association (IGFSA)
27 June 2018
- The Executive Committee held its 30th meeting on 27 June 2018 in Panama City, in the margins of the ICANN meeting. The following Members and Secretaries participated in the meeting:
Marilyn Cade, Edmon Chung, Avri Doria, Tarek Kamel, Markus Kummer (participating remotely), Jimson Olufuye, Eduardo Santoyo; Jennifer Chung (Secretary), Yannis Li (standing in for Jennifer who had to attend another meeting).
A quorum was established for the meeting, with 7 of the eight Executive Committee members participating.
The Executive Committee expressed its appreciation to ICANN for hosting the meeting.
- A draft agenda had been circulated prior to the call and was adopted as follows:
- Adoption of the agenda
- Financial situation
- Resource allocation
- IGFSA fellowship
- Admin transition (website, banking arrangements, MoU with dotAsia)
Adoption of the agenda
- The agenda was adopted as proposed with the following addition to be discussed under AOB: Tarek wished to report about his meeting with the UN Secretary-General.
- The Chair gave an overview of the financial situation and walked the meeting through a table that was sent out a few days before the meeting. The balance as per 21 June was USD 51,239.36. With the funds reserved for the fellowship, the accessibility fund and the contribution to The Gambia IGF, there were USD 23,000 left of unencumbered funds. In addition, several NRI requests for support were expected to be submitted in the coming weeks. Tarek confirmed that ICANN would make a contribution of USD 50,000 that would give the Association some room to manoeuvre in.
- The Executive Committee agreed on holding a fundraising event targeting key ccNSOs at ICANN 63 in Barcelona. As the schedule would be heavy for most participants it was felt that a time slot late afternoon (1700-1830) would work best. Marilyn volunteered to prepare the event with Eduardo reaching out to ccNSOs.
- Marilyn volunteered to reach out to potential donors at the IGFUSA. .
- It was agreed that priority should be given to supporting the NRIs, given the limited available funds
- The Executive Committee took note with appreciation of the progress report provided by Anja on her fellowship and agreed to continue beyond the six month agreed on originally, should this prove necessary.
Admin transition (website, banking arrangements, MoU with dotAsia)
- The Exeuctive Committee noted that the transition from ISOC to dotAsia was proceeding smoothly. The admin side, including the banking arrangements, was working well and the website would be revamped in July. Marilyn volunteered to revise the FAQs.
- Tarek briefed the Executive Committee on the meeting he and the ICANN CEO had with the UN Secretary-General. The meeting had lasted twice as long as originally scheduled and the Secretary-General had shown great interest in Internet policy issues. He explained his plans to set up a High-Level Panel on Digital Cooperation with the task to make high-level recommendations on digital governance issues. Tarek saw this growing interest by the UN as a positive development. He also noted that he heard growing criticism of the IGF and doubts expressed about its utility coming from various sides, including the technical community. It would be useful having a short paper outlining the major achievements of the NRIs to counter this criticism.